Saturday, February 2, 2013

"Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver."


For the past 28 days, I was engaged in this thing called a dietbet over at dietbet.com. The deets: You pay however much your bet is (it can be open to the public or closed to friends and family). You have 28 days to lose 4% of your body weight. Everyone who loses this gets their bet back + splits the money lost by the people who didn’t meet their goals (minus the diet bet fees). This equated to me having to lose about 6 lbs in a month.

Let’s go back to the last time I wrote a blog, which probably seems like eons ago. I had this great idea. I would take off this time to write my dissertation (Oh yeah, I’z a docta now), and since I would be at home I would have this fabulous eating/workout regimen. I would awake in the morning at x am, workout for about an hour, have breakfast, write for a couple hours, make myself lunch, write some more, have dinner, watch tv etc, go to bed. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

What really happened is I would wake up in the morning, have this bright idea, spend the whole day erasing and rewriting the same freaking page, look for a reference for one sentence, no make that half of a sentence, and end up searching for some paper written (and by written I mean with handmade drawings) in 1885 that I can’t access because my proxy just failed. Then, my brain would ache so I’d take a nap before Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption. I’d wake up starving because God only knows what I ate that morning if I took a break to eat with the 86 windows I now had open in Google Chrome. Then I’d eat and either be like “Ah I ate too much, I can’t workout now” or have an inducible food coma.  The best result was I’d have a scientific epiphany and write for 3 hours. However, I would undoubtedly have a new half-a-sentence that needed a reference the next day. So the end result was the same: Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Oh did I mention that sometimes for a change of scenery I went to places that shall not be named and used coupons on various desserts? Like free slices of cake and lattes and whatnot. How do you say no to free slices of cake?! It’s free!

I know my first blog was about excuses, and I just made some. Sue me; I’m human. However, I feel justified in saying my excuses ended up in me having a Ph.D.  Then we combine this with the holiday season, and needless to say, there were a couple pounds that I wanted to get rid of, and no, we won’t say how many.

So back to the beginning, I was watching the news and they had a special on making money while losing weight. I was like WHATTTTTTT? They talked about this site Healthywage.com. For the obese, they would pay you $100 to reduce your BMI from >30 to 25 in one year OR you could pay $300 upfront in which case they would pay you $1000 if you completed that goal. For the people with just a bit to lose, you would pay $150 upfront and get paid $300 total (your 150 included) to lose 10% of your body weight in 6 months.

I wasn’t sure that losing 10% of my bodyweight was a good idea or heck even possible for me, but in google searches about this whole healthywage thing, I found out about dietbet. I registered for two at the same time at $20/bet. I figured that I may be willing to lose $20, but $40, not so much. However, I wasn’t willing to go into one of those $300 bets. I was thinking those people may be too motivated. So anywho, you have to take pictures and stuff at the beginning to get your weight verified, then at the end you redo this process, and the winners split the money.

So I won :). One bet had more than 600 people, but I guess everyone saw that $13,000 pot and I guess a little more than half the people ended up winning and splitting the money. Meh I still got $36.75.  The other bet had just under 100 people so only a little less than $2K was at stake. 40 people ended up winning that one, and I got $38.78. So I almost doubled my money.

Did I like it? Yes I did. There’s also a big discussion area attached to each bet. I think it would be cool for a family to do this either 1) using the website or 2) setting up this kind of thing on your own (to avoid the fees). Unless you have a superlarge family/friend set, the pool won’t be as large, but it’s all about what will motivate you to lose the weight

No comments:

Post a Comment